I admire people who can sing. Even though I am not musical, I understand how music speaks to us. Music can fill in the gaps in a movie to make us frightened or it can bring us great relaxation.
The Bible contains many poems and songs in a book called Psalms (pronounced salms ~ the “p” is silent). One of the most famous and beloved psalms was written by King David who was a shepherd boy chosen by God to be a great King of Israel.
Psalm 23 ~ A Psalm of David
|23:1||The Lord takes care of me as his sheep; I will not be without any good thing.|
|23:2||He makes a resting-place for me in the green fields: he is my guide by the quiet waters.|
|23:3||He gives new life to my soul: he is my guide in the ways of righteousness because of his name.|
|23:4||Yes, though I go through the valley of deep shade, I will have no fear of evil; for you are with me, your rod and your support are my comfort.|
|23:5||You make ready a table for me in front of my haters: you put oil on my head; my cup is overflowing.|
|23:6||Truly, blessing and mercy will be with me all the days of my life; and I will live in the house of the Lord forever.|
|23:1||（ 大 卫 的 诗 。 ） 耶 和 华 是 我 的 牧 者 。 我 必 不 至 缺 乏 。|
|23:2||他 使 我 躺 卧 在 青 草 地 上 ， 领 我 在 可 安 歇 的 水 边 。|
|23:3||他 使 我 的 灵 魂 苏 醒 ， 为 自 己 的 名 引 导 我 走 义 路 。|
|23:4||我 虽 然 行 过 死 荫 的 幽 谷 ， 也 不 怕 遭 害 。 因 为 你 与 我 同 在 。 你 的 杖 ， 你 的 竿 ， 都 安 慰 我 。|
|23:5||在 我 敌 人 面 前 ， 你 为 我 摆 设 筵 席 。 你 用 油 膏 了 我 的 头 ， 使 我 的 福 杯 满 溢 。|
|23:6||我 一 生 一 世 必 有 恩 惠 慈 爱 随 着 我 。 我 且 要 住 在 耶 和 华 的 殿 中 ， 直 到 永 远 。|
In the 23rd Psalm, we see
- rest and refreshment (verse 2)
- healing, restoration and guidance (verse 3)
- testing with protection and faithfulness, discipline with comfort (verse 4)
- gives us hope that we are set apart for a purpose and in that purpose, there is abundance (verse 5)
- blessings and security, even into eternity (verse 6)
- What do you know about sheep? Fun facts about sheep
- What words in this psalm teach us about God’s love? God’s care? God’s total sufficiency?
- Jesus said, “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.” John 10:11 Do you know what Jesus meant by these words? “lays down his life”
- Psalms – a sacred Christian/Jewish song or hymn in Christian worship; a book of the Bible (If you open to the middle of the Bible, it usually opens to this book.)
- shepherd – one who protects and cares for sheep
- sufficiency – to have enough
A Psalm of Praise
Make a joyful noise to the LORD, all lands.
Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.
Know that the LORD is God: it is he that made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful to him, and bless his name.
For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endures to all generations.