READ CHAPTER 9
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Highlight in yellow (or any color you like) words in the book that you do not understand. Look up the word and write its meaning in the margin of your book. Here are some words that are possibly new to you.
slipping into deep drifts of snow
skidding on frozen puddles
tripping over fallen treetrunks
sliding down steep banks
barking his shins against rocks
Listen to the chapter being read to you in English: https://www.ximalaya.com/waiyu/3963574
READ ALOUD to your tutor
First paragraph in Chapter 9
And now of course you want to know what had happened to Edmund. He had eaten his share of the dinner, but he hadn’t really enjoyed it because he was thinking all the time about Turkish Delight – and there’s nothing that spoils the taste of good ordinary food half so much as the memory of bad magic food. And he had heard the conversation, and hadn’t enjoyed it much either, because he kept on thinking that the others were taking no notice of him and trying to give him the cold shoulder. They weren’t, but he imagined it. And then he had listened until Mr. Beaver told them about Aslan and until he heard the whole arrangement for meeting Aslan at the Stone Table. It was then that he began very quietly to edge himself under the curtain which hung over the door. For the mention of Aslan gave him a mysterious and horrible feeling just as it gave the others a mysterious and lovely feeling.
Last paragraph in Chapter 9
“Make ready our sledge,” ordered the Witch, “and use the harness without bells.”
DISCUSS with your Tutor
- What kind of feeling did the mention of Aslan’s name give Edmund? How did it make the others feel?
- What did Mr. Beaver tell them about the White Witch?
- What did Edmund realize firstly “when he got outside and found the snow falling all round him”?
- Why could Edmund “hardly see three feet ahead”?
- What did Edmund see at last when he “came to a part where it was more level and the valley opened out”?
- What did Edmund see that “nearly made his heart stop beating”?
- What did Edmund do to the stone lion after he found out it was only stone? Who did Edmund think the stone lion was? Do you think that’s who it was?
- Describe the picture of what Edmund saw lying across the threshold to the open door.
- Who was this? What do you think his purpose would have been to lie across the threshold to the open door?
- What specific order did the White Witch give to the dwarf when Edmund “proceeded to tell her all he had heard before leaving the Beavers’ house”?
SHARE with your Tutor
Have you ever seen snow in person? If you had a lot of snow, what fun activities would you enjoy doing?