- Sheep are totally defenseless. They require protection from every predator.
- A sheep can’t get up without help if they fall on their back. If left on its back too long, it will eventually die.
- A lamb identifies her mother by her bleat. Sheep can also recognize the voice of their shepherd and it comforts them.
- Still waters are very important for sheep. If they step into a rushing stream, their wool will become too heavy and they will be carried away in the current. They cannot save themselves.
- Sheep can easily wander away from the flock. They nibble, nibble with their heads down and never look where they are going until they slowly have lost their way.
- In a fenced area where the sheep sleep, the shepherd lies down in the opening and acts as the door. In this way he prevents thieves or predators from entering and stealing or attacking the sheep.
Many times in the Bible, people are referred to as sheep.
In this verse, why does Jesus have compassion toward the people?
When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. Matthew 9:36